Friday 18 February 2011

Southport and back 66 miles


Well i didnt manage the 30 mile run yesterday as i felt i had pulled a hamstring and decided to rest it for a day. So today meant i had to double up on mileage to make up for it. I set off for Southport at 09.30 staying on the A577 through Atherton, Hindley, Ince and into Wigan then the A49 uphill for 3 miles into Standish. On this route there is about 13 miles of main road cycling before turning onto country roads for 20 miles into Southport. While whizzing down these country lanes feeling very fit and fast 'cos my average speed said 18.7mph i realised with a sinking feeling that the wind always blows towards Southport giving a great average then destroys me on the way home. I thought then it would be best to pace myself on my heart rate rather than average speed. So on the way there i was flying along on the flat at 23mph and my heart rate at 160 bpm with the wind behind me. On the return my speed dropped to 12 -15mph with the same 160bpm heart rate but with the wind against me. I was happy knowing that i was working hard rather than disapointed that i was travelling slowly. I got to Southport after an hour and 47 minutes and took a couple of pics of something i have never seen there in my life before. . . . . the tide was in, Southport actually has sea. I pressed the lap button on my Garmin 705 so i could record details of the out and back journeys separately and set off for home again.
On the way back after 46 miles i stopped at the Marina Cafe at Rufford for some energy in the form of a large strong coffee and some jam on toast for £3.05. A very popular cafe for cyclists on Station Road B5246. I stayed only 15 mins, just long enough to finish my treat then on my way again arriving home 20 miles and an hour and half later.

Total Stats 66.40 miles, 4h.03 mins, 16.3 average, max 32.49mph, Heart rate max/average 179/157bpm
Outward  33.03 miles, 1h 47 mins, 18.42 average, max 32.49mph, Heart rate max/average 179/158bpm
Return    33.37 miles, 2h 16 mins, 14.68 average, max 30.53mph, Heart rate max/average 179/157bpm

No comments:

Post a Comment